Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning in Pets

Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning in Pets

A common reason for pet emergency room visits is poisoning, which usually happens after the pet ingests toxic products. The items range from food to household products, plants, and other substances. The sad fact is that, in most cases, poisoning is preventable. Proper safety precautions can ensure your pets are safe in the home. During this Pet Poison Awareness month, it is important to learn the signs and symptoms of poisoning in pets.

 

Symptoms of Poisoning

Symptoms of poisoning in pets differ depending on the type or breed of the animal. These symptoms will also depend on the substance ingested. Some common symptoms include weakness, fatigue, vomiting, pale or yellow gums, excessive thirst and urination, muscle tremors, and seizures. A pet can also experience abdominal pain, diarrhea, nervousness or hyperactivity, lack of coordination, loss of appetite, and excessive drooling.

 

Food or Plant Poisoning

Several foods are safe for humans but toxic for animals. Foods like raisins and grapes can cause irreversible kidney damage to your dog. Eating the foods can cause the dog to show signs of abdominal pain, vomit, and develop diarrhea. Other foods include chocolates, macadamia nuts, and bread dough containing yeast. These can cause limb weakness, seizures, shallow breathing, and rapid heart rate. English Ivy and Holly are plants that are toxic to pets.

 

Pesticide Poisoning

Pesticide poisoning is a common reason for animal medical emergencies. The poisons that you use to kill pests or rodents can end up poisoning your pet too. Symptoms of pesticide poisoning include vomiting, trembling, drooling, rapid breathing, and depression. These symptoms can be severe depending on the amount of poison ingested. If your dog’s breath smells of garlic, it is usually a sign of poisoning.

 

Household Products

Several products around the home can poison your pet. Harsh chemical cleaners and other corrosive products can poison your pet. Many popular household cleaners contain toxins that can lead to varying symptoms. It is important to determine the specific product that the animal has ingested for the vet to come up with the best treatment plan.

 

Antifreeze Poisoning

One substance commonly ingested by pets is antifreeze. The smell and taste of antifreeze attract some dogs. The pets readily consume the substance if left lying around the compound. Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, drooling, seizures, shock, or coma. In severe cases, the poisoning can lead to kidney failure.

Dogs and other pets tend to be curious and will frequently try to eat anything they see. It is important to act quickly if your pet is exhibiting symptoms of poisoning. Time is of the essence, and it can make the difference between life and death. If you suspect that your pet may have ingested something toxic, take him or her to the vet immediately. Remember, poisoning may be caused by your pet inhaling toxic fumes, such as petroleum fumes. Your pet can get poisoning from petroleum exhaust.

 

To know more about pet poisoning, visit 4 Paws Veterinary Hospital at our office in Duffield, Virginia. You can also call (276) 431-4838 to book an appointment today.

Online Forms

Learn More

Keep
In Touch

Contact Us

Dr. Cortney Jessee