It may seem cute when your pet begs for your food, but you should keep in mind that many human foods are poisonous to your pet. The same goes for other substances, such as antifreeze. Keeping these poisons away from your pets will keep them both healthy and safe.
Antifreeze is a chemical commonly used in cars. You may also use it if you have a swimming pool to prevent the pipes from freezing in the winter. However, what you may not know is that antifreeze tastes good to most animals.
Keeping the chemical out of reach is a good way to prevent accidental poisoning. Be sure to keep any containers tightly sealed and clean up spills immediately. If you keep the container in a garage or storage shed, it is a good idea to keep your pet out of the area entirely.
Used to brew beer, hops have become more of a risk to pets since more people are using them for home brewing. Hops contain many compounds that can be poisonous to your pets including essential oils, resins, and tannins.
Symptoms that hops can cause include fever, a rapid heart rate, anxiety, vomiting, heavy breathing, seizures, and pain in the abdomen. Your pets might begin to show symptoms within a few hours after ingesting the hops. Also be aware that even after being treated, the risk to your pet will remain high.
Many people enjoy macadamia nuts as a healthy and tasty snack, but they can be poisonous to dogs. It is unknown how many macadamias it takes to cause problems for dogs. However, a few studies have shown that just a few can begin to cause symptoms in dogs.
If your dog ingests macadamias, they may begin to develop symptoms within about 12 hours. The symptoms can include weakness in the hind limbs, vomiting, an inability to control their movements, fever, abdominal pain, shaking, and stiffness. The good news is that there haven’t been any deaths reported from macadamia ingestion and the animals will most likely recover within a few days.
Even the most common household products can cause your pet to have health problems. This includes bleach, fabric softeners, and laundry detergents, which can cause ulcers in your pet’s stomach or mouth. As well as chemicals such as gasoline or kerosene which can cause your pet to have difficulty breathing.
All types of mothballs contain toxins that can cause your dog to have diarrhea, vomiting, or seizures. Mothballs that have naphthalene are especially dangerous for your pets so it is a good idea to keep these and other chemicals out of reach.
If you have other questions about poisons for your pet, the professional staff at 4 Paws Veterinary Hospital in Duffield, VA, would be happy to answer them for you. Contact us today to set up an appointment.